The open project for the development of
The 30 EuroCents/piece biosensor for self diagnosis of CoViD-19
The goal of this project is the development of a biosensor/test kit for SARS-CoV-2 with the following characteristics:
- The test is fully disposable, uses readily available materials, and costs less than 30 cents per piece (when produced in >= 100,000 pieces)
- The kit can be delivered at room temperature (<= 35°C; must not include any temperature sensitive reagent)
- The test can be performed at home with no equipment, is simple to read, and the results can be documented with a smartphone
- The test does not use any proprietary reagent
- The entire test from sampling to results is carried out overnight without attendance
- The test is not invasive and uses a readily available sample
- The test has a L.O.D. (Limit of detection) of 106 viral RNA copies
- The test is specific for SARS-CoV-2
A biosensor that can meet all the above listed requirements would be of paramount benefit for the control of SARS-CoV-2 spread. It is, however, a rather ambitious task. Since its conceptual development represents its primary challenge, we believe that the goal can be achieved with an open cooperative effort. Therefore we call for proposals of changes and improvements to the current latest prototype or method. The contributions received will be reviewed by a scientific committee and those selected will be tested. All tested or otherwise relevant contributions will be acknowledged in the final report (list of those who contributed so far).
The finally developed method will remain public domain and accessible to everyone wants to produce and use it. If you want to contribute, follow this link.